PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Clark Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:58:50 -0500

> Yes, I would be very interested in that too. Although I have never seen a
> Kung bushman, I have seen Inuit people (Eskimos) and they do appear to
> have a distinct jaw line. I have also noticed (although I've never really
> looked inside an Inuit's mouth) that some have front teeth which appear
> shorter and broader than those of other racial origins. This may be due
> to softening hide but if memory serves, the Inuit men also had similar
> tooth shapes, and my memory is that they do not, typically, chew hides.

Eskimos do indeed have a "distinct jaw line," at least in traditional
Eskimo societies.  This jaw line results from extremely high mechanical
demands placed on the jaws and teeth, in relation to chewing of tough
foods and preparation of animal hides.  This morphology is clearly related
to environmental influences.  You're right that females do most of the
hide chewing, but regardless, both sexes engage in behaviors--masticatory
and extramasticatory--placing heavy demands on the jaws and teeth.