PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 09:26:18 +0100
There is an apparent error in Sean's reasoning on the weight of fat in a
kangaroo -- and for that matter other animals. Archaeology has determined
that, in Eurasia, through the discovery of smashed long bones and broken
skulls, palaeolithic hunters' preferred food  was the animals' brains and
bone marrow. These are both very high in fats.

I don't know how much fat, by weight, there is in a kangaroo's brain and
total marrow, but I am sure it is a great deal more than 4 ounces. If this
is taken into consideration, the figures will be very different from the 4
ounces per 97 lbs that Gould (1966) measured. Although probably not as high
a percentage as Stefansson's 1 in 6-7, it will still be a considerable
amount. It should not be forgotten that Australian Aborigines also consume
other sources of protein/fats e.g. fat grubs.

I hope this helps

Barry Groves