PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mavis Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:41:11 +1200
May I, as a lurker, ask if the subject of teeth has been considered?

May one of the reasons for early death have been lack of the necessary
teeth to process food and in the later  European Palaeolithic at
least,skins and
sinews.
 Worn down and uncared for teeth would  also be liable to form
abscesses which, I presume could be fatal.

The teeth of people living on grain processed with rough stone querns
would also be very worn it would seem,are there any statistics on this
available?

Would better tooth care since the 1920's be a factor in the present day
longer life in the present day North American population.

ME Emberson  MA Hons Prehistoric Archaeology (Edin)