PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kbemmott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:39:50 -0800
Dr. M. Kern wrote:

        "....And second, many diseases which cause middle aged and geriatric
mortality, also markedly decrease fecundity, during childbearing years. One
prominent example is diabetes mellitus. This illness is skyrocketing in
modern
populations, particularly in populations which are not  European or
Mediterranean, and who have a shorter history of agricultural life. In
females who have genetic susceptibility to this disease, it is common to
show gestational diabetes with the second or later pregnancy. This state is
extremely prejudicial to fetal development, and constitutes a high risk
pregnancy. High risk for the fetus and the mother. The baby is often
oversize, presenting the need for C-section. Emergencies such as
pre-eclampsia, eclampsia,  premature placental separation, and post-partum
hemorrhage are all much more common in the diabetic mother, and seem to be
a function of her hyperglycemia. Needless to say, in primitive conditions
this would have been selected out."

   Oh, I don't know.  If the pregnant woman is not an insulin dependent
diabetic, there doesn't seem to be such a high risk.  Some authorities have
stated flatly that there's no point in even screening for gestational
diabetes because treatment doesn't make any real improvement in fetal well
being.  I no longer screen women under 25, and I suspect a lot of
Paleolithic births took place in under-25s.
      If a Paleolithic woman had juvenile, insulin dependent diabetes, she
would not live to grow up, and if she did, she would not give birth. Prior
to 1922 the Joslin Clinic for diabetics had NEVER had a live birth to a
diabetic woman. Most of the mothers died, too.