PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bronwen Humphreys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:22:16 +0100
Further to my earlier message - I just happened to be looking up a reference for one of our members in: Agriculture and the Citizen by Colin R W Spedding/Chapman & Hall. ISBN 0-412-71520-1  and I found a table listing how many people whose protein requirement could be met per hectare of land, planted to various crops.

Cabbage         34
Field Beans             26
Peas                    24
Potatoes                22
Wheat                   20
Sugar beet              17
Maize                   16
Rice                    16
Barley                  15

If energy requirements rather than protein are considered, sugar beet comes out top with 33 people per hectare, potatoes second with 22, the best cereal is rice at 19.

Bronwen Humphreys
The Vegetarian Society (UK)