PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Caldecott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:57:42 -0600
> "most [of us] don't live in a paleolithic environment (i.e. most
> of us live in a semi-tropical indoor environment for much of our
> lives), I have modified the diet to reflect this as well,"
>
> You may be interested to learn that traditional Eskimos kept their
> dwellings
> pretty warm. In his Harper's article "Adventures in Diet", Stefansson
> wrote
> that in midwinter the Eskimo family he lived with "burned seal or
> whale oil"
> for cooking and heating. "The temperature at night was round 60
> degrees F,"
> but when the fires were stoked during the day, after they returned
> from a
> day of fishing, "we came home to a dwelling so heated by the cooking
> that
> the temperature would range from 85 to 100 degrees F, or perhaps even
> higher--more like our idea of a Turkish bath than of a warm room.
> Streams of
> perspiration would run down our bodies, and the children were kept busy
> going back and forth with dippers of cold water, of which we naturally
> drank
> great quantities."

the caveat here is that the Inuit spent most the day outside
in contrast, even people in very northerly latitudes tend to spend _all
day_ inside, the only time they are outside is walking out to their
car, etc.
even though we know the indoor environment to be up to 5 -6 times more
toxic
hence an even greater need for vegetables, particularly those rich in
sulfur compounds (e.g. garlic), indoles (e.g. cruciferous vegetables),
b-vitamins (in part derived from commensal bacteria, which subsist on
dietary fiber), vitamin C (citrus, capsicums etc.) and various minerals
(particularly dense in culinary herbs) needed for phase I and II
hepatic detoxification

Todd Caldecott
http://www.wrc.net/phyto