PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
M E Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:02:40 +1200
It is good to get the reference for the Late Pleistocene human
population bottlenecks.
 It is very useful if one has access to  academic journals in the print
medium.
 However not every one all over the world can find  the same journals
in libraries. Not everyone has libraries!
I often wonder if the academic community is taking full advantage of the
new technology? The idea of the World Wide Web conceived by Tim Berners
Lee was for very a different means of publishing ideas.

http://wwwinfo.cern.ch/pdp/ns/ben/TCPHIST.html

 Many articles which actually do appear on the WWW  are still facsimiles
of print media especially from universities and similar institutions

There are footnotes and bibliographies, even. All the references are to
printed books and journals.
This is a new medium.  Instead of articles transferred in total there
should be linked pages. You can see the same unimaginative things
happening as the publishers take over e magazines. This new medium needs
a total rethink about spreading of knowledge but I fear the dead hand of
the academic publishing house will stifle it.

M E Wood