PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:32:12 -0400
We have to be careful about generalizing about the Inuit, however. They led
a generally more physically gruelling existence than many other
hunter/gatherers: kayaking tends to compress vertebrae, running and jumping
and generally hunting on frozen tundra or ice tends to be harder on the
legs, hips, and back, falls tend to be more damaging, and so on. A lot of
the increase of compression fractures and osteoarthritis may be due to a
harder lifestyle, not necessarily the extremes of the diet. Or of course it
could be the diet, or could be some of both. But it's not safe to assume,
and I don't think anyone's done the research to definitively answer that
question.