PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Todd Caldecott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:17:14 -0600
Dear Bob,

I'm sorry I haven't the time to do a full critique of the piece but
there are many holes in it.  The physiology argument is old and perhaps
someone can invite the author to beyond the law of the excluded middle
and embrace his fuzziness: we are omnivores, not ruminants and not
carnivores.
The evidence of this to my mind is the fact that we are still here,
unlike our less adaptable hominid cousins.

> His Aberrant Behavior Ruins His Potency
>
> Eating meat diminishes sexual performance and masculinity.  The male
> hormone testosterone that determines sexual development and interest
> has been found to be 13 % higher in vegans (a strict plant diet – no
> animal products of any kind) than in meat-eaters. 18

the abstract continues that the elevations in T were "...offset by
higher sex hormone binding globulin, and there were no differences
between diet groups in free testosterone, androstanediol glucuronide or
luteinizing hormone."

  but anyway,  when is one study proof of anything?  another study found
no statistical difference:

Key TJ, Roe L, Thorogood M, Moore JW, Clark GM, Wang DY.
Testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, calculated free
testosterone, and oestradiol in male vegans and omnivores. Br J Nutr.
1990 Jul;64(1):111-9.

and another study contradicts the author's findings:

Raben A, Kiens B, Richter EA, Rasmussen LB, Svenstrup B, Micic S,
Bennett P.
Serum sex hormones and endurance performance after a lacto-ovo
vegetarian and a mixed diet. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992
Nov;24(11):1290-7.

selective scientific reasoning - pretty standard fair actually.  First
the belief, then the hypothesis, and then selective reasoning based on
lower order logistics.

>   Meat-eaters are likely to become impotent because of damage caused
> to the artery system that supplies their penis with the blood that
> causes an erection. 19   Erectile dysfunction is more often seen in
> men with elevated cholesterol levels 20 and high levels of LDL "bad"
> cholesterol 21 –both conditions related to habitual meat-eating.

this is a rehash of a long tired argument.  The author proves nothing,
and the conclusion he draws about meat eating aren't related to the
actual findings re: dyslipidemia, and nor do they correspond with my
clinical experience, where by implementing a low CHO diet ends up
reducing cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides.  In the latter case Gerald
Reaven states that serum  insulin levels more or less parallel
triglyceride levels in the syndrome X pattern, which is assoc. with
impotence.

I generally find that vegans who have switched back to eating a little
meat immediately feel more "grounded" and have an enhanced ability to
focus and concentrate, and are generally less sensitive (to drugs,
toxins) and to other people.  In Ayurvedic medicine meat is considered
to be tamasic, the energy of inertia, darkness and heaviness, and thus
vegetarian diets are recommended in some yogic traditions to loosen up
one's attachment, to embrace spiritual energies and move beyond the
confines of physicality.  This of course is all very well is one is
planning on leaving the life of the "householder," but for the rest of
us schmucks stuck in samsara we need a some inertia to simply be
effective in life.  IMHO those idealists who become vegans are exactly
those that need to eat more meat, and for those who only visit that
salad bar as an excuse to get more blue-cheese salad dressing, bacon
bits and jello are those that need more vegetables in their life.

On Saturday, September 20, 2003, at 09:08  PM, Bob Avery wrote:

> This article poses some interesting challenges to the paleodiet
> nutritional theory, based primarily on comparative anatomy and
> physiology.
>
> http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030700pumeatinthehumandiet.htm
>
> Comments anyone?
>
> Bob Avery