PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barry Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:12:36 +0100
Hi all

I take a very different route, although I too recommend in ratios. In my
case, as it is far healthier for fat to be the major source of fuel as it
was in palaeolithic times and in more recent primitive cultures, I recommend
10-15% of calories from carbs, mainly from fresh green and yellow veges,
15-25% of calories from good quality animal proteins, and 60-70% of calories
from fats, again mainly from animal sources.

Although I don't rule out any foods completely, I do believe that grains are
not at all healthy, being responsible for a whole range of conditions from
coeliac disease to asthma to eczema. I would particularly avoid wholegrains
because of their phytate content. Many studies in Canada and elsewhere have
indicted wholegrains as causes of a wide range of deficiency diseases, see
below. For example, more iron was absorbed from white bread than from
wholemeal bread, even though the wholemeal bread contained 50% more. (Kelsay
1978 below)

Moynahan EJ. Nutritional hazards of high-fibre diet. Lancet. 1977; i:
654-5.;
Kelsay JL. A review of research on effect of fibre intake on man. Am J of
Clin Nutr. 1978; (31): 142.;
Turnlund JR et al. A Stable isotope study of zinc absorption in young men:
effects of phytate and alpha-cellulose. Am J Clin Nutr 1984; 40: 1071-77.;
Bindra GS, Gibson RS. Iron status of predominantly lacto-ovo vegetarian East
Indian immigrants to Canada: a model approach. Am J Clin Nutr 1986; 44:
643-52.
Southgate DAT. Minerals, trace elements and potential hazards. Am J Clin
Nutr 1987; 45: 1256-66.
Clements MR. The problem of rickets in UK Asians. J Hum Nutr & Dietet 1989;
2: 105-16.
Hallberg L, et al. Phytates and the inhibitory effect of bran on iron
absorption in man. Am J Clin Nutr. 1987; 45(5): 988.
Balasubraminian R, et al. Effect of wheat bran on bowel function and fecal
calcium in older adults. J Am Coll Nutr. 1987; 6(3): 199.
Hallfisch J, et al. Mineral balances of men and women consuming high fibre
diets with complex or simple carbohydrate. J Nutr. 1987; 117(2): 403.

to mention just a few.

Barry Groves, PhD
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk