PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrew Millard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:05:10 +0000
On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 SAFallon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Subject: Posting from Mary and Sally
>
> 4.  We still lack one key piece of data, and that is the amount of adipose
> tissue as a percentage of the total in a large wild ruminant such as an elk or
> moose, during the late Summer and early Fall.  Without this we cannot make a
> true comparison between the saturated fat available to Paleolithic man,
> compared to his modern beef-eating counterpart.  Are there any hunters in the
> group who can enlighten us?  Even a visual estimate would be helpful.  How
> thick is the subcutaneous fat on such an animal at the height of its fat
> stores?

Archaeozoologists have been generating this type of data for certain
animals.  In order to interprete animal bone assemblages, a series of
studies have established Utility Indices for different skeletal parts,
particularly with reference to the amount of fat, meat and marrow they
carry.  There are probably archaeozoologists on the list who could supply
better information than I can.  A random selection of work that I have
come across recently is:

Binford, LR (1978) Nunamuit Ethnoarchaeology.  New York: Academic Press
(for sheep and caribou)

Outram AK & Rowley-Conwy, PA (in press) Meat and marrow indices for horse
(Equus).  Journal of Archaeological Science

Diab, MC (1998) Economic utility of the ringed seal (Phoca hispida):
implications for arctic archaeology.  Journal of Archaeological Science 25
1-16

Diab also cites the following:

Blumenschine RJ & Caro, TM (1986) Unit flesh weights of some East African
bovids.  African Journal of Ecology 24 273-286

Lyman RL, Savelle, JM & Whitridge, P (1992) Derivation and application of
a meat utiltiy index for phocid seals.  Journal of Archaeological Science
19 531-556

Brink, JW (1997) Fat content in leg bones of Bison bison, and applications
to archaeology.  Journal of Archaeological Science 24 259-274

Savelle, JM, Friesen, TM & Lyman RL (1996) Derivation and application fo
an otariid utility index.  Journal of Archaeological Science 23 705-712

Whilst they do not necessarily use the fat content in their calculations,
they may well do as Diab does and record the amounts of fat removed.

Andrew

 Dr. Andrew Millard                              [log in to unmask]
 Department of Archaeology, University of Durham,   Tel: +44 191 374 4757
 South Road, Durham. DH1 3LE. United Kingdom.       Fax: +44 191 374 3619
                      http://www.dur.ac.uk/~drk0arm/