NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:52:15 -0400
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Beth Kevles wrote:

> One child in my son's group (6-12 year olds, I think) has a severe
> peanut allergy.  We've been duly asked to not bring in peanut products.
>
> I sent in a Luna bar for my son's afternoon snack.  The bar contains no
> peanuts in the ingredient list, but at the bottom of the list it says
> it may contain traces of peanuts (among other things).  Clearly a
> potential cross-contamination issue.

Supposedly it only takes a tiny amount of the peanut proteins to cause a
reaction...so if you were anaphylactic to milk, would you eat a food
labeled as having possible dairy cross contamination even though there was
no dairy in the listed ingredients?

> was made to sit in isolation while he ate his snack and then to wash
> his hands and face with soap before rejoining the group.  (He couldn't
> sit with a non-allergic child because none of the kids are allowed to
> know who the allergic child is.)

That part of the policy seems stupid to me.  Perhaps 6 year olds are too
evil to be trusted, but suppose some peanut products slip through.
Shouldn't they all know who not to give them to?

> FInally, if I have to abide by the camp policy (and I will if it makes
> medical sense), can any recommend an afternoon snack with the following
> properties:
>
> Allergnically free of milk protein, red dye #40, shellfish and, of
> course, peanuts!
> Non-perishable (since the ice-pack will have lost its cool by then).
> Contains protein.
> Is plausibly attractive to an 8-year old boy.

Home made popcorn
Glennys soy chips
beef jerkey

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route