NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:45:58 -0700
: Concerning the child who had severe rash upon contact with milk, I was
: wondering if that child was also anaphalctic to ingested milk?

My daughter had hives from skin contact with milk or milk products when
she was younger (until about age 3).  She is not anaphylactic to milk,
but it gives her a pretty serious reaction - lots of mucus, vomitting,
gagging, not-quite-wheezing.  Even trace amounts would do this when she
was younger, but her reactions are less severe now.  She's 4, and no
longer gets the skin contact hives, and can eat a tiny piece of cheese
(like half a pea-size) and says it makes her tounge feel funny, but no
vomitting!

So, there's at least a bit of hope for you!  I don't know if she'll ever
be able to eat pizza or ice cream, but I don't worry quite so much about
a contaminated spoon in the kitchen as I did (still do for eggs, peanuts
and walnuts, though... but we just don't have those in the house).

Laurie (and Alyssa, 4yo, allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and walnuts)