NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Crankshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:04:16 -0800
My 6 year old son has anaphylaxis (reaction is immediate within 30
seconds) to all dairy and therefore is on a strict non-dairy diet.
His protein mainly comes from eggs, soy, peanuts, fish, and some
poultry. He eats very little meat (a kosher hot dog or salami once in
a while).  THe other night, he ate two small bites of leg of lamb and
within 5 minutes, experienced tightening of the throat, itching of the
throat and we all soon realized he was having an allergic reaction to
the lamb.

Has anyone else had experience with reactions to other mammalian
proteins beyond what is found in milk?  He doesn't react when he eats
a kosher hot dog but in retrospect, we remember that he's had a
similar experience with roast beef.  I don't believe that the milk
proteins that the animal may have ingested would stay in tact within
the muscle.  Any information would be useful.
Thanks