NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:45:02 -0400
Hi just a note about the leaky gut syndrome. I forwarded the article to the
world famous doc (dad in australia). He discovered Heliobacter pylori as
the cause of stomach ulcers & is one of the most respected stomach docs in
the world. (Dr. Barry J. Marshall)  I wanted to know what he thought of
leaky gut as he had never mentioned it & was often discussed on the eczema
list serve. Here is what I wrote and his response, take it for what it is
worth.

me:
http://www.afpafitness.com/LEAKGUT4.HTM

i was trying to explain this to mum & she had never heard of it. is this
legit? just wondering.

dad:
Sorry, probably not legit.
You can get a leaky gut test from Great Smokeys labs.  They give two sugars
which can not be metabolised, but one is normally absorbed, one is not.  If
they both turn up in the urine, the gut must be leaky.
There may be something in it but so far it has not reached the medical
books (I note that no-one has been able to prove it or prove treatment even
though the research goes back 20 years).

-Bronwyn