NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jessica L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 11:52:15 -0400
Hi Krista,
        I hope I can help you because I understand how frustrating it can
be starting out.  I'll tell you what I know, as I understand it.  I'm
sure you'll get more responses that are more scientific.
        There's lactose intolerance.  When the body lacks the enzyme
needed to break down lactose.  Depending upon the severity of the lactose
intolerance, they may be able to handle some lactose.  Some people can
have yogurt, cheese or other lactose foods but only in small doses.  My
son's pediatrician (my son is 4) told us to experiment.  Give him a 1/4
cup of milk and wait.  Let him eat a cookie with it.  Eating something
else with lactose is always better.  Because of my son's severity to
lactose, we have eliminated it all together.
        Than there's milk protein allergy.  These are casein and whey.
If it is a protein allergy, you'll have to look at the ingredients in
everything before giving it to your child.  We were told to not let my
son have any milk (lactose or the protein) for 6 weeks.  Then slowly
introduce one new thing at a time.  He is also severely allergic to the
milk protein.
        I hate to say this, but it is primarily trial and error.  It is
hard to do when your dealing with such a small child.  It does get
better!!!  Since he can have margarine, it may just be a lactose
intolerance.
        If you decide to eliminate both from his life and you need help
finding foods that your child can have, write me back.  Things change all
the time, but I can give you the list I have of foods that are lactose
and milk protein free.  Good Luck to you.  You can write me privately at
                                        Jessica L.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]