NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:43:01 -0400
HI :) WE are JOYFUL to announce that Tyler's biopsies were completely NORMAL!  Meaning, he does NOT have Celiac Disease.  The doc also noted that she did not see any inflammation (I.e.--lingering from the milk allergy or from another issue, like an unidentified allergy). SO, of course this is good news BUT it leaves us with the question of why he has diarrhea and doesn't gain weight and is at time extremely irritable.  She said some people just have loose stools, and sometimes it takes a while for an allergen (milk in our case) to FULLY leave the body so it could've been lingering irritation (which is now gone, hence the lesser poop and happier child).....

So, here's the plan:

(1) Complete dairy avoidance...NO MILK or milk products til AT LEAST age 3.
(2) weight checks every month to 2 months....current plan: see pediatrician on November 8th....call Ped GI after the appt and let her know what the gain was according to the ped scales.....if all is OK then we keep doing what we are doing, if not, we will delve into it further....
(3) Stay on Alimentum--at this point since he is underweight and seems to be doing ok on it, meaning gaining weight (slowly as it may be) and not having any negative reactions, we will stick with it--if anything changes (ie--reactions or weight loss) then we will go with a different plan....but he MUST be on formula til at least age 2 due to need for nutrients and weight gain (rice and soy milks do not have the same as formulas).
(4) Unless he starts having massive frequent (ie 4+ times a day) poops again, we proceed as above!!

So, unless something else comes up (please pray it doesn't) we will speak to the GI in November and I will report back on the weight and loose poop issues then :)

Thanks to everyone for their endless love and support...it's be quite the ordeal....and while its not over....I think its calming down!!!  Thanks :)

Nancy

"My son is my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise him is my greatest challenge"