NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 14:43:53 -0400
Thanks to the two people who posted sites with milk ingredient info. I have
visited one but I'm not sure it answered the questions I had. Maybe it's
just the difference between theory and practice. I'm curious as to what
parts of milk contain lactose. I was led to believe it was the whey
proteins. But a recent post here suggested that there was lactose in casein
as well. As near as I can tell, I don't react to casein but I sure do react
to lactose (allergy and intolerance). So, is it basically that the
industrial processes don't totally remove whey proteins (and lactose) when
they try to isolate casein, or does casein contain lactose?

Don