NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:25:54 -0700
I was in Walmart today and they had a special display of Duncan Hines cake mixes which were on sale.  As I walked by I noticed one box which was marked OU instead of OU-D.  I read the ingredients and this box did not contain milk.  I checked the date code to make sure it was not a really old mix.  The expiration date was Oct. 2007.  I searched and was able to find 5 boxes which were labeled this way.

When I got home I called Duncan Hines to find out if these were old mixes or were mislabeled.  She told me that they are reformulating some of their mixes to NOT contain dairy because they had received so many complaints about the change.  The new mixes were not supposed to ship out until after the first of the year.  But apparently some have already shipped.  She didn't have a list of which mixes will be changed because they are not supposed to be out yet.  But she is guessing that they will be some of the classic flavors.  The ones I found were devil's food, classic yellow, and butter recipe golden.

So keep checking the store shelves in your area.  Dairy-free mixes are coming back!  Duncan Hines was pretty slow in moving, but it did pay off for all of us to voice our opinions.

Sandy