NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:04:32 -0500
I couldn't agree with you more about this!  I was just trying to explain to
my husband today, how humans are not meant to consume cow's milk.  Humans
are meant to consume human milk, cows are meant to consume cow milk, etc.
No other animal besides man consumes the milk of another species.

The protein and salt content in cow's milk is also completely inadequate for
human consumption, I've learned.  Instead of being a good source of calcium,
it actually leaches calcium from the body and taxes the kidneys.  So much
for the dairy industry's claim of milk's superfood status.

Our household stopped drinking cow's milk about 9 months ago, and since then
I've tried to make sure that we get enough calcium through fortified orange
juice, cereals and breads, and through green leafy vegetables.

I breastfed both my children exclusively for 6 months before introducing
solids.  I continued to breastfeed my first until 18 months, and am still
breastfeeding my second at 13 months and intend to do so for several more
months.  But I did drink a lot of milk while breastfeeding my first, and
during the first 4 months of breastfeeding the second.  I've since decided
that I will not have any dairy with my next pregnancy, nor eat any dairy
while breastfeeding.  This shouldn't be hard, since we've recently cut out
all foods containing dairy products.

Amy Mills