NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Marple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 19:34:24 UT
Kathy Wentz wrote:
>> I explained to her that his symptoms might just have disappeared
for a few years and may well reappear and be much worse when he becomes a
young
adult and she (with a straight face) told me that that would be fine because
then he would be one his own and would have to deal with his own problems
himself. <<

What a horribly callous woman! I feel so bad for that child, who is
trustingly eating and drinking everything his mother gives him :(

>> The other point here Dawn made was that frequently little guys just don't
have
the words to express how they feel.  This is especially true when they have
always felt bad due to constant injestion of the food.  How could they explain
they feel bad when they don't know they are supposed to be feeling otherwise?
<<

That is so true - even true of bigger people! I kick myself when I think
of how many years I was making myself feel bad by eating dairy foods.
I get really mad when I think how all the doctors I went to treated
the symptoms they saw in isolation (sinus congestion, acne, etc.) - how
I took antibiotics and antihistamines for YEARS without being told that
they were just covering up a fundamental dietary problem. It took an
acupuncturist to tell me to give up dairy. It truly hadn't dawned on me
that I was making myself sicker by what I ate - and I was 28 when
this happened. I doubt if many children could figure it out on their
own. Also I read on another list that before the age of 7, children
explain all internal pain/discomfort by pointing to their stomachs. It's
a developmental thing - they simply don't yet have a good enough
sense of themselves to communicate more precisely before that age.

Laura
------
Laura Marple, SAH Mommy to Pippa (27 Nov 96)
[log in to unmask] ~ [log in to unmask]
http://www.seanet.com/~thisbe