NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:03:04 -0500
Heidi L.  Wrote :

>Where do behavioral problems fit into your list?  Allergy or intolerance?
 My
>son has multiple reactions to dairy.  Stomach aches, headaches, behavioral
>problems and an overall unhealthy feeling.  Since he has had not dairy in
his
>diet he is a different person.  He feels much better and definitely acts
much
>better.

We have two children.  One has "classical" allergy symptoms, and we've
never had problems getting treatment for her.  The other has
behavioral/mood issues when she eats the wrong thing - especially dairy.  A
few sips of milk and she's out of control.  Our allergist (who's very good
otherwise  - with they symptoms he's used to) says that it's not an allergy
and won't even look at her. OK, so technically maybe it's not allergy - but
the reaction to the food is obvious and repeatable.  We're doing our best
to see if foods other than dairy are causing her problems,  but it's not
easy.  The school believes the problem is ADD, and the answer is Ritalin.
  I'd rather solve the food problem first - and then see if she still has
the symptoms that would point to ADD.

How do you find support for a child experiencing this?

Lisa