NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 00:49:54 -0400
>I would be interested in this frozen dessert mix that you have developed.
>Is it also fruit free?

Yes.  It's made from vegetable gums and pasturized egg whites.  You have to
add a small amount of the sweetener of your choice (sugar or artificial--if
you use honey or maple syrup, reduce the water slightly since the recipe
was developed for dry sweeteners) and something to flavor it--your choice
of cocoa, coffee, tea, juice, Jello, pureed fruit, extracts, cordials,
liqueurs, etc.

I want to warn you that the first batch was made in a factory that makes
other mixes on the same line (that's why I'm trying to get info on
manufacturing).  One of my beta testers claims that she is very sensitive
to dairy and it didn't bother her at all.

My restricted diet consists of elimination of all
>dairy and its derivitives, plus elimination of wheat, corn and cane sugar
>derivitives.  My daughter (age 9) has been tested to be fruit intolerant.
>That is a very difficult one.  I make her her own pop by taking carbonated
>water and stirring in a syrup made from boiling honey with minced fresh
>ginger root.  It's pretty good- sort of a combination flavor of ginger ale
>and root beer.  Any ideas for a fruit free smoothie made with tofu?  I've
>thought of maple syrup with pecans but haven't tried it yet.

Your drink sounds delicious.  I love ginger as a stomach settler.  I would
think that any tea could be made that way.  (That gives me an idea for a
new flavor--thank you!)  If you like root beer, you might want to look into
making a tea of sassafras.

As far as the smoothie goes, what is the purpose of the tofu?  For the
nutrition or for creaminess?  I've never been too thrilled by the taste of
tofu in sweet recipes even though I use it a lot in main dishes.  I think
that Tofutti's non-dairy sour cream substitute or a health food store soy
yogurt would taste better while providing a creamy look and feel.  Or
possibly coconut milk.

I've been working on a mix for a smoothie that uses very little fruit as
well as very little dairy or dairy substitute.  I've been using real fruit
to avoid synthetic ingredients.  However, it should work with a flavoring
instead.

Hope this helps.

IBarbara