NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 22:42:10 -0500
Robert Cohen 1-888-not-milk wrote:
> FOOD        POUNDS EATEN        CONVERSION FACTOR
>                                 (How many lbs of milk=1 pound of___)
>
> Butter          4.5                 21.2
> Whole Milk     72.1                  1
> 2% Milk        69.1                  1
> 1% Milk        22.0                  1
> Skim           33.7                  1
> Flavored Milk  10.4                  1
> Cream           8.7                  1
> Cheese (Hard)  27.7                 10.0
> Cottage Cheese  2.6                  4.0
> Ice Cream      15.9                 12.0
> Ice Milk        7.6                  6.0
> Sherbet         1.3                  4.5
> Other Frozen    4.8                  1
> Condensed Milk  6.4                  2.1
> Dry Whole Milk  0.4                  7.4
> Nonfat Dry      3.8                 11.0
> Dried Whey      3.5                  8.0
This doesn't add up to 500+ lbs

> Multiply this all out and the actual milk necessary to produce what
> the average American ate comes out to 932.05 pounds.
This isn't really meaningful. For example, you list butter as
equal to x21 milk. But much of that milk doesn't end up in the butter,
only the fat, so it's not x21. More importantly, most people with
sensitivities
worry about casein, very little of which makes it into butter. To
suggest
that butter = x21 milk is meaningless. Now, cheese is something that
uses most of the milk, so there the factor is closer to the truth.
But, again, the protein in milk has been converted to whatever
protein the bacteria in cheese culture needed. Lactose is gone
almost completely. This is not to say that cheese wouldn't
have any effect on somebody with milk sensitivities, but
it's not x10 of milk. Some products on this list would have
other stuff added (sherbet, condensed milk) so that their
weight does not represent dairy wieght. Some, such as
certain brands of whey protein, have all but traces of
casein and lactose removed from them. To be representing
the milk consuption as equivalent of 932.05lb per year
(because that's the amount of milk it would take to make it)
is like saying that we eat an enormous amounts of grain
because we eat chicken and meat that we raised with grain.

Ilya