NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:49:50 EST
In a message dated 2/7/2007 11:00:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 Susan Gallant  writes:
> I know some would disagree with me on that and I suppose everyone is
> entitled to their opinion,

Everybody would disagree with you on that. That's because not everybody is
entitled to an opinion.

You're entitled to an opinion if you've studied a subject and understand it.
Dismissing the sum total of medical learning just because it doesn't agree
with your pet theories or the quacks who want to sell you their products or
philosophies is not merely wrong, it's actively dangerous.

You have a long history of posting nonsense under the guise of "true" medical
knowledge and an equally long history of disparaging everybody else's
experiences because they don't correspond with your own. Your cites have always been
to some unnamed doctor you have some vague memory of, so that they can never
be checked.

This is outrageous behavior, disrespectful of every other person on this
list. Your saying that you want to "discuss this like adults" seems to be code for
your saying that you don't want your nonsense called nonsense by name where
everybody can see it. Unfortunately, you don't get that privilege. If you post
nonsense in public and belittle others, you have to expect that it will not
survive the light of openness and public scrutiny.

Lactose intolerance and dairy allergies are well known and well understood
medical problems. Not completely understood - perfect knowledge lies somewhere
in the future. But that future will be made by qualified medical professionals.
Alternative medicine has nothing to add to these issues, and advising people
not to listen to doctors is the same as advising people not to flee from a
burning building.

I'm extremely glad to see that you're getting no support from anyone. That's
the way it should be and must be. Together we can keep the ignorance from
infecting the list and allow it to last another ten years while dispensing sound
advice.

Steve Carper
Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper

Plant Lactose Blog
http://planetlactose.blogspot.com