NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carrie Micko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:38:20 -0600
Just wanted to say, I understand why one would
want to use margarine, but be careful, you may be
trading one problem for another. Hydrogenated oil,
according to what I've read in natural foods
cookbooks, etc., is dangerous to the heart. Any
altered food is suspicious.  I've observed that
Hain puts out a margarine that has LESS
hydrogenation. It's still hydrogenated, but less
so. And Spectrum Spread has no hydrogenation
what-so-ever, although it doesn't melt and is not
good for frying, but it is great as a spread or in
baked goods. I'm a big fan (in limited quantities)
of the real thing: butter. Scientific evidence
seems to be leaning in that direction, also, as
being healthier. I've read some who are sensitive
to milk can handle butter, because it's the fat,
no protein or lactose. But clarified butter
(melted and strained) would be even better to
remove the remaining milk solids. Of course, I'm
no doctor, and you'd need to filter this advice
with your health practitioner and personal
situation. The best choice, healthwise, of all, is
olive oil, of course,  and there is abundant
support for it. The important thing with oil is to
get it cold-pressed, and keep it cool. If it (any
oil) can be stored on the shelf, it's been
processed to an unhealthy state (trans-fatty acids
and such). I can't say I prefer the taste of olive
oil to butter, but for health reasons, I've made a
conscious decision to use it for a good portion of
my cooking needs. Of course, it doesn't work well
in desserts... When I first started using olive
oil, I mixed it half and half with softened butter
or margarine and then refrigerated it. Helped to
get used to the taste, and it was a start. The
Country Life Vegetarian Restaurant cookbook (see
Amazon.com) has a wonderful article in it that
explains oil (and protein and calcium in other
articles) very well. It's a ten year old cookbook,
and I don't know if Amazon is out of it, but I
followed up and got ahold of one of the authors
and he said it was still available. Perhaps, try
the library. Hope this helps us all toward health.
Carrie