NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:20:59 -0600
I have a son now 6 and he had "severe" infantile excema from 4-10 months
which finally subsided at about 1 1/2-2 years old. I was a nightmare.

For severe excema the hydrocortisone creams are necessary just to keep him
from scratching. And we found other good things. Don't bath him in water
(use Cetaphil.  Also, creams we found helpful were Aquaphilic, a Vicco
turmeric cream and a homeopathic calendula cream put out by Boericke &
Taffel. By the time our son was 10 months old we could give up the
hydrocortisone cream, and keep him quite comfortable with the other more
natural things. This barely scratches the surface of our experience but
feel free to ask questions.

I've read that people with multiple allergies and (which our son had and
still has some, primarily to milk) need extra calcium. We took him to a
good health professional as a baby and he recommended calcium for me and
him as I was still breastfeeding. The excema did seem to get much better
after that, but since we were also trying so many things we never knew for
sure if it was that or what?

Also, the below information tells about an excema discussion group, which I
only found information about but never have belonged to since our son's
excema was over by the time I started using discussion groups.

Rachele Shaw