NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:00:25 EST
In a message dated 11/18/2003 11:17:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Can you do me a huge favor and post on any of the message boards to find =
> a cake recipe for Donovan?
Anyway, I need to make a cake that is free of the following: MILK, EGGS, =
SOY, WHEAT (no cake flour or regular flour), RICE (no rice flour), and =
NUTS.

Hi,
You can try a mixture of 1/3 garbanzo bean flour, 1/3 cornstarch, 1/3 tapioca
starch for your flours; OR try a blend of 2 c sorghum flour to 1 c
cornstarch; OR a blend of 2 cups sorghum, 2/3 cup arrowrooot, 1/3 cup tapioca starch( I
have not used the last two blends, I just got them from someone else.)

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

2 C sugar
2  C gluten free flour blend
3/4 C Hershey's cocoa
1 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 eggs and 1 egg white (use your egg substitute)
1 C GF milk ( try Diamond Breeze almond milk in plain, vanilla or chocolate,
or Dairy Free potato milk)
1/2 C vegetable oil or melted  milk free margarine
2 tsp Gluten free vanilla
1 C boiling water

In large mixer bowl, stir together sugar, flours, cocoa, baking powder,
baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.  Add eggs ( or substitute), white milk, oil or
margarine, and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed of electric mixer two minutes.
Remove from mixer; stir in boiling water.  Pour batter into prepared pans
(greased and floured with oil or use waxed paper).  Bake 30-35 minutes for 9 inch
pans, 35-40 minutes for a 13 x 9 inch pan, 21 minutes for cupcakes.  Cool 10
minutes, remove from pans to wire rack.  Cool completely before frosting.

Each time you substitute flours, you have to play with how much flour to use.
 Sometimes the weather also affects how much you put into your recipies.

Sometimes my recipies have turned out and sometimes they have not.  My son is
very picky too.
Good luck, Joanne