NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
JT forbes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:51:46 -0400
Hi, I'm new to the list and to the whole idea of milk allergy. My son Ben, 4
1/2, was just diagnosed with a severe allergy to milk products. He was
tested by blood sample. His symptoms improved immediately after starting his
new diet..... He's never had any anaphalactic (sp?) reaction of any kind,
nor any skin symptoms, but he's been one grouchy, short-tempered, lethargic
little boy for a long time now-- and has had no bowel control (tho never
complained of tummy aches) until now. We are thrilled!

Now we just have to figure out how to work through the logistics of everyday
life without casein. I've found the big sites on the web, but am still
loooking for suggestions about specific foods (brands) that are ok, and
would love to hear from others whose kids may be effected similarly by milk.
From anyone who got a late start like we did, at age 4, how have you handled
things like playing at friends' houses, school snack, etc.? Ben is handling
the elimination of many of his favorite foods very well, but I need wise
tips from other parents who have been through this & managed to make life as
normal as possible for their kids.

How do you deal with sibs who can eat anything?

Since Ben's allergy was found so late, am I correct in thinking that he will
not likely ever outgrow it?

I'm so glad that I found this list. Thanks in advance to anyone who can
help.
Jenny Forbes
East Lansing, Michigan
Mom of Meghan (6), and twins Ben & Rachel (4)