NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:21:05 -0500
At 09:44 PM 12/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>the oil was in a small gravy boat, and we dipped the bread in the bowl.  it
>really beats eating dry bread, and calms down your hunger pains while
>you're waiting for your food.

Searching on the web, I found:

at:

http://uconnect.com/vcc/9005.htm
Herbed Olive Oil: Virgin Olive Oil, Bay Leaves, Thyme, Basil, Peppercorns

at:

http://sottovoce.com/
Olio Santo The original! A beautiful blend of rosemary, thyme, bay,
peppercorns & a mild chili pepper, marinating in the bottle with our unique
garlic-infused olive oil. 750 ml. Item #O101

These are places that sell them online - so you can apparently buy them...
maybe even locally

Also, a recipe at:

http://www.kiraly.com/kitchen/

Roasted Garlic

Garlic is one of my favorite add-ins to anything I cook. To me, roasted
garlic is best as a spread on sourdough bread.

Here's my recipe for roasted garlic:

     1-2 garlic heads
     1/2 cup of olive oil (I use light olive oil)
     3-4 sprigs of thyme (depending on how much you like spices)
     1 bay leaf
     Fresh ground pepper
     Salt, if desired (I never put salt in my cooking)

Directions:

   1.Preheat oven to 275 degrees
   2.Break garlic into cloves, leaving the inner skins on
   3.Place garlic into a garlic roaster (or any oven-proof dish)
   4.Pour olive oil over the garlic
   5.Place sprigs of thyme and bay leaf on top of garlic
   6.Sprinkle fresh ground pepper and/or salt on top of garlic

If you're using a garlic roaster, put lid on and bake for at least 45
minutes or until the garlic is very tender.

After baking, remove roaster (with lid off) from oven and let garlic cool
to room temperature.

Important: To me, roasted garlic is only really good when it's extremely
tender, almost like butter! So, I recommend keeping the garlic in the
oven for at least 45 minutes to one hour. However, you should use your
judgment as to the tenderness that you prefer.

I'm sure you could find more with searching on the internet or at a big
bookstore with lots of cookbooks... The roasted garlic sounds yummy to me!
My reality check bounced!

Ken Cook
home:  [log in to unmask]
work:  [log in to unmask]