NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:41:07 -0800
> While I agree with most of this, formula is not necessarily the right
> choice for all toddlers either.  When I weaned mine at about 13 months,we
> started with a high fat soy milk - none of the low fat or fat free ones.
> It has roughly 2/3 the fat and protien of whole milk.

Well then for your child, fat wasn't an issue, but that's not what the
original poster wants:  she said she did not want to use soy.

> I don't increase the quantity to equal what she would get from a normal
> amount of
> milk.  She drinks about 21 oz. per day which would be the upper
> recommendation for amount of cow's milk.  As long as they are eating a
> balanced and varied diet, you should be able to get the fat and other
> nutrients in with real foods.

Are you saying that even though you give your daughter soy milk, you believe
it isn't necessary?  I would have to say that getting a toddler to eat a
varied and balanced diet, while not impossible, is a challenge in itself. My
guess would be that picky eaters would out-number ones who will eat
anything.  I'd rather not take the chance.  Afterall, we can't get this time
back to "grow" them again.  I still maintain that some extra nutrient with a
variety of fat is a must, whether it be cow's milk, soy, formula, whatever,
until they are two.  I would tend to have a lot of faith in my resources,
especially since they run a well known and respected allergy nutrition
research facility in Vancouver and have been dealing specifically with this
for years.

>   I could not find a soy formula without corn and was not even going to try
> one of the hydrolized casien
> ones (Alimentum has no corn).

What was your concern with the hydrolized protein formulas?  They were
designed specifically for dairy allergic infants, and are used all the time.
I'm curious.

> Another mom in our playgroup put her daughter on soy formula (infant
> formula, not the toddler formula) when she weaned and still has her on it
> at almost 2 years.  While there are no growth problems, she does not eat
> very much and relies heavily on filling up on formula.  The mom is now
> trying to decide on a soy milk for replacement, but worries that the kid
> doesn't eat enough.

Well yes, of course this will happen if too much formula is offered, and is
really no different than too much milk being offered.  But afterall, the
mommy is the one who is in control of how much is given to the child.
Anyway, IMHO, that's still better though than not providing enough nutrition
to supply such a rapidly growing and developing body!  This is an area where
there isn't room for fooling around.

Cathy