NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E. J. Mumaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:56:02 EST
My son's school is great about making parties and activities safe for my son.
 The kids are even great about it.  Its the other parents that seem to take
it as some kind of severe restriction of 'their' life.  How do you deal with
these parents?

A Mom this morning told me that her pediatrician said that you couldn't have
a reaction from just touching milk products.  OK, I got a bit snippy back and
told her that her Dr obviously hadn't kept up with recent medical information
and she perhaps should look for someone else to provide her children's
medical care.  Bad me.  Of course the conversation went down hill from there.
 I should have handled it better.  She repeatedly told me that if it was her
child she would home school instead of risking her child's life.  This is my
son's sixth year in that school and he has never had a reaction at school.  I
told her that repeatedly and that the staff at the school was great.  That
the restrictions in place for him were prescribed by his Dr and not just what
I wanted or the school.  That we had moved to this school district because of
their willingness to accommodate kids with food allergies.  Then she tells me
that it is really a problem for her family when the teachers insist that the
kids have either fruit or vegetables at snack time.  Something to do with celi
ac disease.  I don't know much about that, but I though the problem with
celiac was wheat.  (I don't remember having a snack time when I was in
school.)  I tried to explain to her that many of the teachers choose to do
that regardless of allergy problems in the classroom.  I told her she could
have that changed for her kids with a simple note from her Dr.  She said no
she wouldn't 'do that', like it was somehow shameful.

Her whole attitude was belittling and I just wanted to smack her upside the
head.  I didn't of course.  I am not ashamed of my son's allergy or mine.
She acted like medical needs were shameful.  Like I should hide my child at
home or something.  OK, I am venting.  Sorry.  By the way, this wasn't even a
parent from my sons classroom.  I was helping out in my non allergic
daughter's classroom when this Mom brought up the subject of how ridiculous
it was that so many of the classes in the school had peanut or milk
restrictions.

E.J.