NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Dietterich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:49:49 -0700
I'm curious if anyone has ever had this happen.

About 4.5 years ago we determined that I was at least intolerant of casein, if
not allergic to it.  I removed dairy from my diet for the most part, but I
haven't been terribly worried about small amounts.  On certain occasions
(rare), I've knowingly ingested dairy and accepted that I would suffer for it.
Most of my symptoms were gastrointestinal.

December 2001, I had some chocolate truffles.  That was the first time that I
ever noticed a true allergic response.  Itchy throat, asthma flare, strong
desire to sleep, and then the GI symptoms.

A couple of weeks ago, while on vacation (and with my future in-laws), I had a
small taste of fudge.  The sample was less than 1/2 a teaspoon in size.  The
reaction was instantaneous:  swelling, itchy/scratchy throat, asthma flare,
etc.  It seemed to calm down, and we went for a 2.5 hour long bike ride.
Following the ride we were shopping and went into another fudge shop.  Just
being in the store triggered a reaction.  A double dose of Benadryl and use of
my inhalers was successful, albeit very frightening.  I then slept for 18
hours.  Included also were mood swings.

Since then, I've been triggered by the caramel coloring in Dr. Pepper, and
discovered some hidden milk in a lunch at work.  I've also been prescribed an
EpiPen.  And, I have an appointment with an allergist (yet another allergist)
for testing -- RAST testing this time.  I've never scratch tested positive for
any food allergies.

Does anyone have any idea why I would suddenly react to strongly to dairy?  I
have the feeling that I've been working up to this reaction, but it did hit out
of the blue, and now I'm suddenly hyper-sensitive.

Karin Dietterich