NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 21:44:13 -0600
Since a couple of people asked for the eggless, dairyless pumpkin pie I
thought I would post it to the group:

Here the crust is pre-baked and the filling is cooked separately then put
into the crust.  The crust is not soggy as often happens when the filling
is baked in the crust.

3 Tbsp  arrowroot or cornstarch
1/2 cup soymilk
2 3/4 cups cooked pureed pumpkin
1 cup light brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter substitute (whatever you use)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1 pre-baked pastry pie crust

Mix the arrowroot or cornstarch with the soymilk.  Add all the other
ingredients for the filling and mix (a blender may be used).  Heat the
filling slowly in a saucepan, stirring constantly. Simmer until thickened.
Pour the filling into the crust.  Chill to harden.  Makes one 9-inch pie.

I cook fresh pumpkin (the ones in the store that say they are for pies) and
it takes not to long to cook and tastes great with the fresh pumpkin.
Although you usually have to get those in the Midwest of the US in
October--not November for Thanksgiving.  I have mine already.

Rachele Shaw