NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 01:27:12 -0600
Cherie Moore wrote:

> This is a very rare disease, but if it does occur, the lactase enzyme can
> be added to EBM (expressed breast milk) and therefore the baby can still
> receive all of the benefits of breastmilk although it would not be able to
> receive the bonding of the milk coming directly from the source. (The milk
> would then have to be given by dropper, cup, or bottle).

Not necessarily.  The Mother's nipple can be smeared with several drops
of the enzyme before the baby latches on.  The baby will then drink it
with the milk.  This is often recommended for mothers who are unsure if
it is an allergy or a lactose intolerance.  I have never seen a Mom
continue with the enzymes more than a few weeks as they never seem to
help after ALL the dairy has truly been removed from the Mother's diet.

--
Kathy Wentz              I've never had a humble opinion in my life.
[log in to unmask]      If you're going to have one, why bother to