NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kris Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:14:49 EST
Regarding my daughter's diagnosis of "visceral hyperalgesia."

--I posted about it in case it would help someone else who might have the same
condition and was confusing it with extreme dairy sensitivity, as I did for
many months.  I didn't post it for anyone's approval or disapproval -- and how
could anyone judge the reasonableness of my daughter's diagnosis from that one
post anyway?

--There isn't a lot of information on the web and Medline concerning this
condition, especially under the name "visceral hyperalgesia," but if you
search you will find some interesting articles (search on "chronic pain" or
"functional pain" also).  The best reference I have found so far is the book
*Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body, Brain-Gut Connection*, subtitled "8
Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder or Colitis"
by Salt.  It is a wonderful reference for anyone suffering chronic GI problems
that are not controlled by diet alone.

--My daughter has been living 100% dairy free for ten months and will continue
to do so.  This diagnosis has nothing whatsoever to do with her sensitivity to
dairy.

--Visceral hyperalgesia is NOT a *stress diagnosis*, it is a
pathophysiological condition, as are her lactose intolerance
and gastroesophageal reflux.  All caused by a simple GI virus she had one year
ago.

Kris Moore, D.V.M.