NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:05:52 EST
In a message dated 1/31/00 10:05:57 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Instead of Yogurt Dessert Mix. >>

Does this mix have any of the beneficial bacteria that yogurt has? What makes
it instead of YOGURT rather than PUDDING? Sounds interesting.

Also, my earlier post mentioned Birds custard powdered mix. I neglected to
say I used commercial VANILLA soymilk with great results. Tonight I tried it
with homemade unflavored soymilk. The texture was good and firm because I
make my homemade soymilk thicker than the storebought. However, it needed
more sugar (I cut the sugar to 2 tbsp. from the recommended 3 tbsp. when
using vanilla soymilk) and even then tasted rather beany.

As for using soymilk in breads, it has worked just fine for me. I understand
cow milk is used in bread to tenderize it and to add nutritional value. Using
potato water for part of the liquid also tenderizes the bread and seems to
keep longer. Save the water from boiling potatoes, but be sure it is unsalted
or you'll throw the salt measurement off in the recipe. (Salt inhibits yeast,
so only the right amount should be used. Salt also controls the yeast and
keeps the bubbles more even, so you want to use salt, but measured.) Another
factor in making tender bread, and I'm talking about 100% whole wheat, is to
use a white wheat berry and grind it yourself, or get it already ground at
the coop. It used to be called Golden 86, or Montana Gold. I believe it is
now going under the name of Prairie Gold. If you can't get it locally, try
contacting
Wheat Montana Farm at (800) 535-2798 www.wheatmontana.com and maybe they can
tell you who carries it. I recommended it to Bob's Red Mill and it sounded
like they were going to look into carrying it. I don't know if they do yet,
but it is another source.  Anyway, it bakes up lighter in color, texture and
flavor and makes a great transition bread from white to whole wheat. It's
really great stuff and I never miss the effect of milk in my milk-free bread
made from it. There is no comparison to whole wheat bread made with hard
winter red wheat berries, the stuff usually available. This is just great,
and I think Wheat Montana may be the only ones growing it. It's worth a
look-see. Carrie