NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:18:22 -0400
>Kelly -
>
>I'd like to second what Shirley said about scratch testing.  My daughter had
>it done at 8 months, and it was not painful at all.  Go to someone skilled in
>giving the test to kids - a pediatric allergist if possible.  It is one more
>piece of the puzzle in figuring out what's going on with your child.  Our
>allergist was very adamant that testing is only one piece, with symptoms (a
>detailed food/symptom diary) and challenge tests the other pieces.

Make sure that they're experienced in pediatric testing. Make sure that
they use a "multi-tester" rather than "the hook".

We found skin tests not to be entirely reliable in our young, highly atopic
son. We were even sent home and told to do an oral challenge with milk
after the RAST and skin tests were negative. Wound up in the ER with an
anaphylactic reaction. Now that he's 11, he finally tested positive. One
data point, but a pretty profound one!

Mark

Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120