NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:40:44 -0400
Hi.  We had our follow up appt today with the gastroenterologist.  Tyler gained 9 ounces in 2 weeks which is good (wt-20#15oz).  His stool tests all came back fine (no parasites, infections or abnormalities).

His blood work was all normal EXCEPT:
* Urea Nitrogen=28 mg/dL (norm=5-18)
* BUN/Creatinine Ratio=56.0 (norm=6.0-25)
* A/G Ratio=2.5 (norm=.8-2.0)
* Alkaline phosphate= 850 U/L (norm= 50-270)
*Immunoglobins: IgA, serum= 17.7 mg/dL (norm=22-122)
*Gliadin AB IgG=70 units (norm is <20)

His celiac test was negative BUT this is not unusual since his IgA is low, so he could still have Celiac and its just not showing up.  The dic also still suspects a milk allergy is part of the issue.

The main concern here is the liver enzyme elevation (the alkaline phosphate)......it could be a liver malfunction, a vitamin deficiency, or a bone formation issue (like rickets).......

so we had more bloodwork done today, and will have an abdominal u/s on Saturday.....we will call for results next week...and see doc on September 4th.  We may have to have an endoscopy but doc is using that as last option.

We are to continue Alimentum, and offer foods to him but not force feed or worry about his intake (which is just about non-existent).  I am to keep a food journal (what eh eats, when, how much and any reactions).

We are worried, tho we are trying to tell ourselves it is all OK, but truthfully we don't know anything yet....and the options aren't great: celiac, milk allergy, malabsorption problems, liver problems, vitamin deficiencies, bone issues.....UGH!!

Trying to take it one step at a time......will keep everyone updated.

Any advice, as always, is welcomed.

Take care!

Nancy

"My son is my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise him is my greatest challenge"