NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 00:18:39 -0400
Hi --

Trader Joe carries kosher-parve milk-free chocolate chips.  We use them
regularly, but our family allergies are NOT hair-trigger so maybe someone
else would like to weigh in.  (They're great in smores, which we even make
in the microwave occasionally.)

According to my recollection, several grocery stores carry store-brand
milk-free chocolate chips.  I also recently came across some Baker's brand
milk-free semi-sweet chips, but inadvertently left them behind on vacation
so can't tell you about dairy equipment.

You can purchase chocoates, and probably chips, through several on-line
vendors which don't even permit milk on the premises.  This is important,
because milk is added to chocolate as a POWDER, not as a liquid.  The powder
can float and cause problems regardless of whether the specific equipment in
use is a dedicated non-dairy line.  So if your allergy is hair-trigger, I'd
recommend going to one of the on-line vendors.  If they don't carry chips
themselves, play at being gourmet and hack at a block of chocolate with a
kitchen knife to chunk it.

The issue with equipment is that chocolate produced on a line that also
produces milk-including chocolates may have a lot of cross-contamination.
It's really hard to get the milk chocolate our of the crevices of the
machine.

Not that any of this gets me closer to s'mores pie.  Anyone have any
suggestions on a chocolaty, creamy-seeming filling that won't harden to rock
when it gets cold?  I KNOW it's possible ...

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles
  Eating without Casein webmaster
  http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html