NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Michelle T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:14:06 -0700
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:07:08 EDT, Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List wrote:

>  I read an article yesterday that said that lots of people react to the
>  cooking odor of the food they are allergic to, that the protiens are in
the
>  air and that they have the same bad reactions as by ingesting it.   It
makes
>  sense, but fortunatly we have never encountered this ourselves( I
think!).
>  Do you all find this to be a problem?

Stephanie,

       Well, for me, it seems to depend on the distance that I am from the
cooking stuff and which of my allergens is being cooked.  As an example, my
husband about a year ago (I was diagnosed on 2/14/00 as being allergic to
dairy, beef, pork, chocolate/cocoa, gelatin and caramel color - actually, I
diagnosed the last 2 from having the same reaction to them as to my tested
allergens) was frying cheese sticks in the kitchen and I started getting
itchy watery eyes and difficulty breathing (no other allergens in the air
inside the house at the time).  However, I can go to Red Lobster where they
cook cheese sticks and other stuff with dairy in/on them as well as into a
Mexican restaurant where cheese is cooked into/onto EVERYTHING and have no
reactions as long as I do not eat my allergens.  Since that incident with
the cheese sticks in my kitchen, my husband always goes over to his
relatives to cook (either his brothers or his parents - they live about 3-5
miles away from us in 2 different residences) anything that has my allergens
in it and I either remain here or go to the relatives' residence where the
cooking is not being done.  Hey, it works out fine for all involved as in I
do not have an allergic reaction and they get to eat what they want to eat.

Michelle T. aka Pegasus

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/