NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 23:31:36 -0700
RE: Neocate

To answer Robyn's question: Did we find something that worked for us?

With our 2 year old (almost 3 now) we used the foods he could eat in many
small meals and found a multivitamin (Bronson's) and Tropicana OJ (for
calcium) to supplement.  It is not easy with all his allergies but he almost
never eats food coloring nor artificial sugars, nor hidden corn (and of
course no nuts, peanuts, dairy, beans, gluten grains and a few more things).
After not gaining weight for maybe 10 months, he now is growing about
1/2 inch a month, 1/2 pound per month so he is still small but his growth
has an acceptable "curve".  One jar of organic chicken-rice baby food has
70 cals. and one Lundgren's ricecake has 70 cals -- this is a snack we use
instead of the suggested Neocate box (it was a supplemental thing, to "boost"
calories, but which really because of all the additives and corn just
killed whatever appetite he had).  Once we got all the allergens identified,
his appetite seems to be coming back.. or maybe it's his age..we never
know what we're doing right/wrong, just try to keep him moving along,
Susan, mother of nicky and emma.