NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:41:11 -0800
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:00:00 -0500 Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Let's be clear, here. Are we talking about Jello gelatin or Jell
*pudding*?
> Is there a difference in terms of their diary content?

I was referring to the Jell-O Gelatin product to make with the coconut
milk.  I actually use a store band gelatine dessert that is not marked
Kosher in any manner - the Jell-O brand has a gereric K.  The only
possibly questionable ingredient in either of the boxes that I checked
was natural flavor.

I have found another product in the Latino section of the market that is
some sort of gelatine that you make with milk but haven't tried that yet.
 I don't recall the brand name off hand and can't find it burried in my
pantry at the moment.

I have used Junket (Danish Dessert) which is a tapioca based pudding type
thing that you have to cook.  You mix it with water.  It doesn't have
that creamy mouth feel that I was looking for.  It came in strawberry and
raspberry flavors.  It was more like what you would use for a strawberry
pie.

I've tried the Jell-O brand instant pudding with rice and soy milks and
it just doesn't work.  You just get slop that does not set.  I seem to
recall people using the cookable stuff though.  I have not tried this as
it contains other ingredients that are verboten.

Kathy P.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.