NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dennis Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:06:29 -0800
> I used to order pizza without cheese...but cross contamination seems like
> such a likely occurance, I stopped years ago.  I won't even go to Subway
> anymore for the same reason.  Last I looked (several years ago), their
> bread was safe (non-dairy), but so many times I've been to Subways where
> they've managed to sprinkle grated cheese all over (the prep board, the
> vegie containers, etc.) that they're simply incapable of making food I can
> safely eat.

This is interesting because I eat at Subway a lot and I don't think
I've ever seen grated cheese there. This summer we took a road trip and
ate at many Subways and I noticed that different Subways used different
methods of preparations for the sandwiches. Probably due to local
health laws or such. The nicest Subways prepared each sub on a clean
piece of paper, thus preventing any contamination with the surface of
the counter.

I've also noticed a small variation in ingredients. A few years ago I
ate at a Subway in Canada and almost didn't recognize the sub. Most of
the ingredients were the same but the amount and preparation was so
different it seemed like an entirely different sandwich.

I've seen high volume Subways that will have piles of cheese on the
counter at lunch ready for the volume traffic. Not exactly friendly
for those allergic.

My family frequently orders pizza without cheese. It took a little
while to get the pizza place trained but now they know us and we
usually don't have any problems. Only when they get a new order taker
that has to learn that they have to write "no cheese" on the order
because the computer wasn't programmed to be able to order a pizza
without cheese.

Dennis.