NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:13:32 -0500
>BREAD....I can't find a safe bread.....it's not that they all contain
>milk...but most don't say what they contain....

In the US, all foods must carry ingredients labels, except for those
fresh-baked breads sold in bakeries. With all of the attention on
allergies, most businesses here try to make these lists available to those
who ask. It may be time to kick up a fuss (or join those who already have)
to get the labeling laws strengthened.

You'll be able to find pareve goods in the UK, too.

When in doubt, ask the baker, or contact the manufacturer.

If you have access to a bread machine, you can make your own fresh-baked
bread whenever you need it (takes approx 3 hours to bake). It's simple, too
- just throw in the ingredients and push a few buttons. I've modified the
recipe to use milk-free margarine instead of butter and to use a teaspoon
of wheat gluten in place of the powdered milk that the recipe calls for.
With a good bread knife or slicer, you've got an excellent loaf of bread.

At least in the US, the most store-bought breads contain whey, not lactose.
If the problem is lactose intolerance and not dairy allergy, this may be
tolerated - check with her pediatrician. Still, I'm of the school of
thought that all dairy should be avoided unless there is certainty that
allergy is not playing a role.

Mark Feblowitz