NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 07:49:34 -0500
Cherie Moore wrote:

>I totally agree that a high protein (specifically animal
>protein) has been associated with a negative calcium balance and we should
>be looking at decreasing our protein more than increasing calcium.

You should be aware that the studies that correlated calcium loss with high
protein diets used isolated, fractionated animo acids from milk or eggs.(1)
Dr. Herta Spencer, of the VA Hospital in Hines, IL shows that when protein
is given as meat, subjects do not show any increase in calcium excreted, or
any significant change in serum calcium, even over a long period.(2) Other
investigators found that a high protein intake increased calcium absorption
when dietary calcium was adequate or high, but not when calcium intake was
a low 500 mg per day.(3)

(1) Herta Spencer and Lois Kramer, "Factors contributing to osteoporosis",
Journal of Nutrition, 1986 116:316-319

(2) Herta Spencer and Lois Kramer, "Further studies of the effect of a high
protein diet as meat on calcium metabolism", American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition, June 1983 37 (6):924-929

(3) HM Linkswiler, et al, "Calcium retention of young adult males as
affected by level of protein and of calcium intake", Trans. N.Y. Acad. Sci.
1974 36:333