NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne Slotterback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:31:40 EDT
I would be interested in comparing notes with anyone who has been
diagnosed with (or has a child diagnosed with) eosinophilic
esophagitis/gastritis which led to the diagnosis of food allergies. Milk
and soy have been identified for my daughter (10). We are also suspect
of eggs to a lesser extent. In addition to nausea and stomach pain, her
reaction to the allergens also includes canker sores. I was wondering if
anyone else experiences this type of reaction. This condition came on
suddenly approx. 7 months ago. It took 5 months and 2 doctors to isolate
the cause. As an infant she could not tolerate milk formula, but did OK
with soy formula. She had been plagued with canker sores as an infant
and toddler which reoccurred since the gastro problems surfaced last
Sept. Over the years pediatricians dismissed my concern about the canker
sores (saying they are only caused by a dormant virus triggered by
unknown causes) until our new pediatric gastroenterologist who says
there is definitely a connection with food allergies.
Could her prepubescent stage be a trigger for allergies? She is
adjusting well to her diet, but misses favorite foods that she has been
eating for the past several years. Right now she is extremely good about
eliminating offending food items, but I wonder if the memory of the
extreme pain dulls will she give us a hard time? Suggestions for coping
with a child are also welcome.

Thanks!
Joanne in New Jersey