NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pamela Brundage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 13:26:40 -0400
Ok. I guess I've made you all wait enough. Though that wasn't my intention.
I wanted to try it with any and all suggestions before passing it on to you
all. But, since there have been so many suggestions, I can't possibly try
them all.

I'll use the Silk Soymilk and you all can try other things and we can
compare notes later. OK?  Here's the recipe:

It's the best thing you've never had.

Nanaimo Bars

Note: This recipe calls for an uncooked egg.  If salmonella contamination is
a concern in your area, please use a pasteurized egg or egg substitute.

For the base:
1 egg
2 oz (2 squares, 56 g) semi-sweet chocolate, **
         melted in a double boiler or microwave
2 cups (500 ml) graham cracker crumbs
1 cup (250 ml) shredded coconut
1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine at room temperature
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped walnuts (optional)
2 Tbs (30 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients and press into a 9-inch (23 cm) square pan. Chill.

For the filling:
1/4 cup (60 ml) margarine at room temperature
3 Tbs (45 ml) milk
2 Tbs (30 ml) instant vanilla pudding***
    or 2 Tbs (30 ml) cornstarch (cornflour) and a drop of yellow food
coloring
2 cups (500 ml) powdered (confectioner's) sugar

Whisk together the margarine, milk, and instant pudding (or cornstarch
mixture).  Blend in the powdered sugar and spread over base.  Chill at least
15 minutes.

For the glaze:
4 oz (4 squares, 112 g) semi-sweet chocolate, **
     melted in a double boiler or microwave
1 Tbs (15 ml) butter at room temperature

Combine chocolate and butter and stir until combined.  Spread over the
custard layer and chill.  Cut into 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) squares and serve
chilled.  Makes 36.

***  The pudding mix may contain dairy. I substitute the cornstarch without
any real flavor difference.

** Make sure you buy the semi-sweet chocolate that does not contain dairy.

Let me know if anyone tries it and how it comes out. Warning, they're VERY
addictive!!!

Pammi