NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellyn Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:58:57 -0400
<<breakfast
consisted of cereal with skim milk (ugh), banana, bagel with cream cheese
(ugh again), apple sauce, and yogurt (ugh one more time). I couldn't
believe that this is what the catering department considered a non-dairy
meal!>>

I recently had a similar experience on US Air.  My husband and I both have
pretty severe dairy intolerance and an airplane is not the place I want to be
when a reaction occurs.  I called the airline numerous times to confirm our
choices.  The choices seemed OK; I selected Kosher Non-Dairy meals for us.  We
don't keep kosher, but we figured it would be a kosher frozen-dinner type meat
meal which we know is "safe." Come serving time, both meals consisted of a
cheese sandwich, a chunk of cheddar cheese on the side, yoghurt, pretzels that
contained dairy and I forget what else.  Of course, we didn't eat it.  I
explained to the attendant that these are probably not Kosher and definitely not
non-dairy.  She apologized and pulled together some fruit and pareve pretzels
for us.  The meal boxes were clearly marked non-dairy and had been separate from
the other meals.  I called the airline after the flight and they basically
didn't care as I guess the meal is just a courtesy thing to them.  I really just
wanted to find out if it was an error, or if they are truly clueless about meal
preparation.

We just bring our own food and snacks now when we fly, and I suggest to anyone
with any type of food sensitivity to do the same.  The fun of the airline snack
is just not worth the risk.