NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ed Parshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:21:49 -0500
fe,

As Steve Carper has mentioned, each person is different and so we must
experiment with dosage.  Also, cheeses vary in their lactose content as do
other dairy products -- swiss is tolerated better than American (see
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper/percent.htm
for a breakdown on lactose content of various foods), and portions
vary.  I can tell you what works for me:

one Lactaid caplet (9000 FCC Lactase Units) per average slice of pizza.
one Lactaid caplet per bowl of cereal (I don't finish the milk, in fact,
usually
    eat cereal dry or with 100% Lactaid free milk when at home. It has the
    benefit of having a long shelf life.)
one Lactaid caplets generally for each average portion which contains
    lactose.  If you have cramps or other symptoms later, than you know
    you took too little.  Instructions are on the Lactaid box.

I use mainly the 9000 Single-Serve Packets because I can carry several
in my pocket -- girls could probably save money by carrying a bottle in
their purse, but it would be unconfortable in your pocket.  I keep a
bottle in the kitchen.  The 3000 unit dosages are not enough for me.

Hope this helps,

Ed Parshall  [log in to unmask]